Maryland League of Conservation Voters (Maryland LCV) and Maryland League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (Maryland LCV Ed Fund) is hiring a Development Associate. We are seeking an ambitious fundraiser who is goal-driven, passionate about the environment, and is an experienced communicator with strong writing skills.
Maryland LCV, a 501(c)(4) organization advocates for sound conservation policies, educates and endorses candidates for public office, and holds elected officials responsible on issues including our air, land, water and public health. The Maryland LCV family of organizations also includes the Maryland LCV Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, and Maryland LCV PAC, our political arm that directly helps elect pro-conservation candidates.
The Development Associate will assist the Development Director with advancing our fundraising strategy and implementing our compliance needs. As we enter into our 40th year and embark on a year long campaign around that anniversary, this is an exciting time to join the Conservation Voters Movement, which collectively is raising $500 million over a 3 year period to advance our environmental priorities in 35+ states. Maryland LCV employees have many training and career development resources available to them through League of Conservation Voters (LCV), the national arm of the Conservation Voters Movement.
• Developing and implementing a 2019 email and mail fundraising plan with an emphasis on growing our list and expanding our monthly donor program.
• Maintaining an active portfolio of $250> donors working to move them up the ladder.
• Researching major donors and preparing written proposals with the Development Director.
• Researching foundation funding opportunities, writing content for Letters of Inquiry (LOIS) and first drafts of proposals for grant renewals. The Development Associate will maintain the Ed Funds grant calendar and be responsible for writing first drafts of reports.
• Recording deposits, data entry, generating reports for the Development Director and bookkeeper and doing thank you letters.
• Assisting with fundraising events including our annual dinner in the fall.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required, design skills are a plus.
• Detail oriented with good organizational skills and follow through. • Ability to work under own initiative as well as part of a team.
• At least 3 years of experience fundraising for a non-profit organization or political campaign.
• Experience with NGP VAN, Google Docs, and the Microsoft Suite.
Salary and Compensation: $40,000 - $45,000 range depending on qualifications and experience. The salary is accompanied by a generous benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, paid time off and a 401K plan with an employer match.
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position based in Annapolis with some ability to work from home. Reliable transportation is required. Some evening and weekend hours are required. The Development Associate will report to the Development Director
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Karen Doory at email@example.com with Development Associate in the subject line. Applications are due by 12/31/18.
Maryland LCV & Maryland LCV Ed Fund are Equal Opportunity Employers committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace.
CHISPA MARYLAND COMMUNITY ORGANIZER
- Work closely with the Program Director to identify and implement strategies that successfully recruit volunteers and build grassroots leaders;
- Conduct new outreach to recruit volunteers through door-knocking, presentations, one-on-one’s and phone calls that results in a growing volunteer base;
- Conduct leadership trainings for volunteer leaders to grow their advocacy and organizing skills;
- Organize volunteers’ participation in grassroots events such as neighborhood meetings, media events and forums using methods such as;
- Use and create content for online engagement such as social media posts, blogs, graphics, etc;
- Develop relationships and partnerships with community organizations and leaders;
- Represent the organization during networking events, partner meetings and other events.
- 1+ years community, issue, labor, or political organizing, preferably within the Latino community;
- Enthusiasm and a commitment to building the voice and leadership of Latino communities in Maryland and a strong interest in environmental activism;
- Able to implement key organizing and campaign strategies like door-to-door canvassing, phone banking and public speaking;
- Strong written and oral communications skills in English and Spanish;
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast paced work environment;
- Willingness to learn, be adaptable in a variety of situations and be a problem-solver;
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Maryland LCV and LCV Education Fund are Maryland's leading statewide environmental advocacy organizations. We work in Annapolis to pass pro-conservation legislation and engage conservation minded voters on Election Day and beyond to hold elected officials accountable. The internships begin on a rolling basis on January 5th and end around May 30th.. The internship is 10-20 hours a week. Occasional trips to Annapolis may be required. Interns must have reliable transportation and access to the internet and attend all three seminars.
Interns must also be comfortable talking on the phone. Some evening and weekend hours are required to attend/ staff events. Candidate must be comfortable on the phone, strong writing skills and ability to work independently.
Legislative- Annapolis – with remote work
-Reports to the Political Director
-Participate in legislative work
-Assist in coalition meetings, and events
-Research legislators, and environmental issues
Fundraising Research & Writing– Baltimore/ Annapolis
-Reports to the Development Director
-Research donors and foundations
-Helps develop written materials including grants
Skills required: detail oriented, experience with Microsoft Excel and Google Docs, strong writing skills, ability to work independently
-graphic design experience a plus
Event Planning - Baltimore/ Annapolis
-Reports the Development Director
-phone calls for confirmation calls
- assisting with assembling and mailing invites
- graphic design experience a plus
- may work with board members
Skills required: comfortable interacting with vendors & extremely organized
Media Coverage and Communications- Annapolis
-Reports to Communications Manager
-Create content for social media and website
-Ability to learn CRM and social media platforms
-Monitor local news sources for Maryland LCV coverage
-Draft press releases, blog posts, emails, and other online and print content
-Graphic design ability
Water Multimedia Design and Communications Intern Annapolis/Statewide
-Reports to Water Policy Advocate
- Develop creative multimedia messages
- Help create or edit materials for publications
- Improve layout, designs, and messaging of water and diversity related campaigns.
-Artists and graphic designers encouraged to apply.
Chispa - Baltimore/ Langley Park/ Annapolis
- Reports to Chispa Director
- Assist in development of messaging, communications, and campaign strategy
- Assist in community engagement efforts
- Attend local events and outreach opportunities
- Help coordinate and run volunteer activities
- Help design flyers and communications for events
- Spanish fluency preferred but not necessary
Clean Water Policy / Chesapeake Bay Advocacy- Annapolis/Statewide
-Reports to Water Policy Advocate
-Help coordinate campaign activities of environmental organizations
-Assist in development of messaging, communications, and campaign strategy
-Attend coalition and government meetings
-Environmental policy or communications background
Skills Required: Detail oriented, ability to juggle a variety of tasks at once, experience with Microsoft Excel and Google Docs. Ability to generate concise memorandums (memos), letters, and detailed reports.
Preferred (but not required) skills: Policy research and meeting facilitation experience is a plus. Watershed, conservation, and/or environmental science knowledge is an added bonus but not necessary. Experience and/or familiarity with Maryland state political arena desired but not required.